Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Nature of Revelation

I'm still in that preparation stage, bracing myself for whatever hostility may surface when I finally start attending priesthood. [Yes, I'm confident that it will happen. Why? Because I know that's where I belong, and I know that God concurs... or is it that He said so and I'm concurring? Either way, I've got a higher power backing me than any opponent can produce so the end result is pretty inevitable.]

The obvious objection would be to insist that barring women from attending priesthood is "the way it always has been, and the way it always will be." Yeah, sure. I love how that argument gets tossed out so often in a church that prides itself on the principle of continuing revelation. I'm not saying that the entire Gospel is going to turn itself inside out, but the progression of further enlightenment and understanding is (at least among those who actually live their religion) well established and even expected.

I've been thinking and planning... I've already printed out the handout cards with a brief summary and link to the blog, and have counterarguments to the most anticipated protests planned out. Tonight in my Ensign reading, I came across a talk by Barbara Thompson during the October 2011 General Conference that puts it much better than I possibly could have:

"Have ye inquired of the Lord?"  [1 Nephi 15:7]
"If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you." [1 Nephi 15:11]
"The way to receive personal revelation is really quite clear. We need to desire to receive revelation, we must not harden our hearts, and then we need to ask in faith, truly believe that we will receive an answer, and then diligently keep the commandments of God."

I've done exactly that; have you? If not, you have no stand from which to criticize me for claiming false revelation. Try it. Entertain the possibility that a smidgen of what I've said and written is true, and sit down to ponder and pray about it. I think you'll be surprised at the outcome. I don't expect you to suddenly agree with me on everything (and I'm even willing to believe that you might get some direction on how to straighten me out), but I know that He can and does provide direction and enlightenment to those who honestly seek it. What do you have to lose?

7 comments:

  1. I wish more of us in the Church followed Moroni's promise about knowing the truth of ALL things by the power of the Holy Ghost. Instead, I feel like most people just take the narrow reading of Moroni 10, about getting a testimony of the Book of Mormon, then just fall in line with the culture of "but this is the unwritten order of things." (not a swipe at Pres. Packer, honest).

    Good luck on getting your permission. I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are those who are entitled to Spiritual guidance and jurisdiction over their quorum and of course over the ward. They can receive revelation for the whole Priesthood quorum. What do you do if their revelation conflicts with yours, or are you confident it will not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such an open-ended question that I'm not sure what you're getting at, Katelyn. What sort of revelation might they get related to me and my situation that could potentially contradict my own?

    "You're a woman, you've always been a woman, you'll always be a woman, and this 'intersex' business is just a heretical disruption." --> Bull$h!t.

    "I'll accept that you're intersex, but that's not the same as being a man and therefor you can't have the authority of the Priesthood." --> *shrug* I wasn't asking for it.

    "Well there's nothing wrong with the principle of you being here, but it's a disruption to the others and so we need to ask you to leave." --> If I was wearing miniskirt and flashing my legs in Priesthood, THAT would be an unreasonable distraction. Anyone who's getting distracted by me in my jeans and baggy sweater REALLY needs to learn some self-control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We're a little nervous about how certain members are going to handle your presence and participation in Priesthood meetings. In order to minimize perceived intrusion, would you be willing to agree to not speak unless spoken to?" --> Sure, I can work with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said "when I finally start attending priesthood. [Yes, I'm confident that it will happen. Why? Because I know that's where I belong, and I know that God concurs" indicating God has revealed to you that you belong in Priesthood meeting. If those with the responsibility for Priesthood do not agree, and say you cannot attend, what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy... I'm not sure how to answer that without sounding like an arrogant ass (although I kinda opened that can of worms myself, so getting getting put on the spot regarding my previous statement really is my own fault). Yes, I'm confident that I belong in Priesthood and that anyone who takes the time to ponder it will either receive confirming revelation or be directed to trust me on it. I guess I'm just acting on faith, trusting that those in charge of Priesthood are willing be open to that possibility and not allowing myself to worry about the negative "what if" situations (any more than I have been, that is).

    I did ask to attend Priesthood a few years ago, and was allowed to go once with the permitor's expectation being that I would see that it's exactly the same as Relief Society... that kinda backfired on his end in that the actual experience was confirmation to me that I'm more comfortable in Priesthood, but I let the issue drop until I was prompted to make the request again.

    I'm currently waiting patiently for the permission request to work its way through the local authority structure, rather than just plunking myself in the middle of the meeting and using "I know I belong here" as justification. I don't know what the timeline is going to be or what role I will be given in those meetings (such as whether I'll be allowed to contribute to class discussions or expected to be a silent observer) but I'm willing to wait and see how things progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly wish you the best and hope you can attend Priesthood sooner than later.

      Delete