Sunday, November 4, 2012

Looking Back

Written in July of this year while I was putting together information for a presentation to the staff at Station 7.



I'm sharing my previous two trans-related blogs with the Station 7 staff (in an educational packet that could very well end up getting distributed much farther), and in re-reading the other blogs noted that there's some important background and context missing. So I'm writing another one to fill in the gaps.


In the redneck rural area that I grew up, being a tomboy was the norm. In addition to that, being five years older than my only sibling (a sister) justified a lot of male-typical activities with my dad (assistant mechanic, poisoning gophers, chopping wood, etc). Somewhere around second grade I decided that I hated dresses, and that was the end of that... I stopped wearing them and nobody complained. I think I was in middle school before I started to realize that the 'real world' had gender-specific expectations, although at that point I was so overwhelmed with trying to survive in a culture that had suddenly lost practically all adult supervision of interactions between the children (allowing a never-ending stream of hostility) that I didn't really care about details like that for the next decade or so.

Puberty was hell. I'm told that it is for everybody, but I'm pretty sure that my experience of it was well outside the normal range of misery. The wider hips were disorienting and I kept bruising myself on corners of walls and tables because my spacial perception of myself wasn't adjusting. I didn't want breasts, and held out as long as I could before finally conceding to wearing a bra; and even then, I wouldn't wear anything other than sports bras because I didn't like the bouncy feeling of not being solidly contained.

Menstruation started, and I hated that even more. Having to wear a 'diaper' was humiliating, and the unpredictable bleeding didn't allow me to enjoy my favorite water-related activities anymore. I didn't try tampons until after I became sexually active, and even then they were uncomfortable in the “this feels like [name of boyfriend who had a habit of sleep depriving me to the point that I'd have sex when I didn't want to just so I could get some sleep]” sense. And there was the cramping and puking; every menstruation period came with several hours of disabling cramps and my digestive system would flush itself out in both directions. (I found out much later that part of this is likely caused by endometriosis... which my mother knew nothing about because I apparently got it from my dad's side of the family)

I made no secret of how much I hated the changes that were happening to my body, going so far as to tell my parents and counselor that I wanted to 'rip out my uterus'. They took that surprisingly well. My mother asked if I would rather have a penis (looking back, I realize that was probably her way of asking if I wanted to transition... although at the time I wasn't aware that such a thing was possible). I sat down and seriously thought about it. The decision (which still holds) was that I'd rather stick with a set of social rules that I despise but at least halfway understand than switch to another set that I would have to start over on learning and might very well equally dislike. I wanted (and still wish I could have) a body with no sexual anatomy whatsoever. When I joke that I'm going to get myself a hysterectomy and double mastectomy for a retirement present, I'm a lot more serious than most people want to believe.

PMS for me is a week-long cycle of severe anxiety, restlessness, and depression; there are few things in life that I've encountered that are more discouraging than knowing “four days from now I'm going to spend an evening feeling suicidal... and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.” Although I didn't realize that was the cause for several years... I was in college before I made the connection between my seemingly random mood swings and my menstrual cycle. Once that link was identified, treatment was as simple as taking birth control pills which block the majority of the female hormone cycle. As a bonus, the birth control also got rid of most of the cramping and puking.

For the remainder of college and my first few years out in the work force, the hormones minded their manners. Then the puking that used to happen with each period became the norm during the placebo week of my pills, with little to no bleeding. When I told this to my ob/gyn, who I have to this date not yet shared my identity with, his conclusion was “Your body really doesn't like it's own estrogen.” (I found out later that adverse reactions to naturally produced hormones seem to be the norm within the trans population... and that many care providers consider the 'hormone test' of whether or not the individual responds better to the opposite set of hormones to be the ultimate test of whether or not transitioning is right for that individual.)

Hormone treatment was then adjusted to taking just the 'active' portions of the birth control pills and skipping the placebo week to start a new pack right away. This was predicted to result in a practically nonexistant hormone cycle, with breakthrough bleeding occurring periodically that can be dealt with by taking one placebo week in order to 'reset' the body. For me, this is (at least very close to) the ideal condition... no hormone cycle, no mood swings, no bleeding, no physical discomforts; what that deep-down-inner-part of me knows is the way it's supposed to be.

And of course through all of this I'm doing the usual schooling, work, and social life that most of us do at that age range. I was aware that I was going into a male-dominated field, but didn't think much of it. With a family of technically-minded people (including a programmer aunt and both grandmothers having had occupations outside the home), I never questioned whether there might be anything wrong with becoming an engineer. There were women in OSU's engineering department, but most of them seemed to be there just because their boyfriends were and dropped out when the relationships ended; I was there for my own benefit so wasn't interested in association with people who weren't serious about their studies. I did make friends with several of my male peers, and had a romantic relationship with one of them for a while.

Throughout college and my first few years in the workforce, I found myself falling into a destructive dating pattern: In the initial relationship stages, I put extra effort into acting feminine and submissive in order to be attractive; once I gained confidence in the relationship, I became more assertive and asexual... this didn't go over well. Men don't generally handle the shock of realizing that the woman they'd been treating as a trophy doesn't want to continue playing that role. Most were angry and intimidating, a few even threatened violence. Practically all of them complained that I was trying to act like a man and/or accused me of being a lesbian.

After one particularly disappointing episode of this type of rejection, I decided I'd had enough of it... it was time to tell the world what I am, and my attitude became “If you're going to call me queer, at least get which KIND of queer right!” I went looking for other people like myself, as previously discussed in the “Coming Out” blog.

Being painfully aware of the dangerous dating situations I'd gotten myself into, I made an effort to show my androgynous/masculine (pick whichever word you like better) side during the early relationship stages. It really didn't help. Men see boobs and hips and a vagina, and they somehow manage to not see what the person who has those things thinks and acts like until they're smacked upside the head with it. And of course when that finally happens, they have the same old hostile reaction as if you'd been hiding it all along instead of dangling it in front of their face the whole time. That's the two-sentence summary of my failed marriage... I was 'out' to my husband when we were first dating, but he didn't really see who I am/was (and subsequently reject me for it) until after we were married.

Nowdays all of my friends have been told about my identity. Most of them don't fully understand it... which really isn't surprising; when your brain and body have always matched each other, how can you possibly understand what it feels like when they don't? A few think that “transgender” isn't the correct term for me, taking a more restrictive definition that only acknowledges MtF & FtM. I take what support I can get and am grateful for it.

At work, I'm grateful that current culture generally provides equal treatment for men and women in my field. I have a strong dislike for women's dress clothing, but grit my teeth and put it on each morning, painfully aware that there's no such thing as gender-neutral dress clothing. I'm on friendly terms with my female co-workers, but I don't feel a connection to them... I know that I look like them on the surface, but feel like an imposter playing a practiced role rather than a genuine member of their kind.

I consider my sexual organs to effectively be 'on probation': As long as they mind their manners and don't cause trouble, they can stay where the currently are; if they cause excessive difficulty, I can and will have them removed. Hormone cycles and the associated mental and physical discomforts have been creeping back into my life despite the medication treatment over the course of the last year, which I'm assuming is going to require another change to the treatment plan. I don't yet know if this can be managed with medication or if surgical intervention will be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment