Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sam's Articles of Faith

This one was originally written in May '08. Not really trans related, but does sum up my relationship with the LDS church somewhat.

And the horizontal line separating this text from the body of the blog is my first real use of HTML!


There's been a lot of questions lately on what my religious beliefs are, and stating the obvious that my beliefs and those of my church don't mesh all that well. In order to clear up the confusion (or at least create some entertaining discussion), I've created my own Articles of Faith.

[For those of you who aren't Mormon, this is a parody of Joseph Smith's letter to a newspaper editor outlining church beliefs, which is published with many other official church statements in the book commonly known as the Book of Mormon. http://scriptures.lds.org/a_of_f/1/1-131]



I believe that God and Jesus are real entities that I currently have limited communication with, and will someday be able to converse with directly.

I believe that individuals will be held accountable for both their own "sins", and similar actions that they force others to commit. Someone who makes the best they can of a bad situation is only liable for the degree to which they caused more harm than necessary.

I believe that all good people are eligible for heavenly glory. Spouting of Christian rhetoric is not a requirement, and frequently runs contrary to the nature of goodness.

I believe that the Holy Ghost, also known as "intuition" and "conscience", is available to and for the benefit of all humanity. No priesthood authority is necessary to make use of it, only a desire and commitment to do what is right.

I believe that church authorities are called by God and are divinely inspired. However, they are not all-knowing, and can be assisted to better fulfill their duties through education and correction of misunderstandings.

I believe that social structures change over time, and religion must adapt to these changes. Men do not own their wives and children, and should be prepared to earn the respect of their families rather than authoritatively demanding it. Women can contribute to the good of the world in many ways, and should be encouraged to focus on the best use of their individual skills and talents rather than being arbitrarily confined to traditional roles.

I believe that through the power of the Priesthood, everyone has access to blessings of comfort and healing. These blessings do not replace medicine and the assistance of others, but combine with these other resources for maximum benefit.

I believe the only portions of the Bible which qualify as the word of God are those that were written by authorized prophets and have been translated accurately to modern language. Since it is unclear what, if any, sections meet this criteria, it is both reasonable and responsible to view the Bible as having very limited authority. Same principle applies to other religious texts as well.

I believe that God has revealed and will continue to reveal further direction as humanity becomes ready to accept additional information and direction. Readiness is determined by some method of averaging, not by the status of either the most or least prepared.

I believe that in the afterlife, one's place will be determined by personal preferences, not by arbitrary external labeling. Liberal people will continue to have the opportunity to debate with each other regardless of individual views, and conservatives will be isolated from such. Families will be separated or rejoined as a reflection of the relationships that formed, or failed to form, during mortality.

I believe that everyone has the right to honor/worship whatever deity/deities they believe in, including none at all. Belief in the divine, or lack thereof, does not guarantee that one will find fulfillment in life.

I believe that law is necessary for the maintaining of order, but that laws are only as just as the logic that produced them. Citizens have a duty to contest questionable laws and rulings in order to protect the rights of all humanity.

I hope for a future better than anything I have known in the past, will continue to endure the pain that results from being who I am, and hope that somehow who I am will bring to pass that future I dream of. I treasure my friendships with people of differing beliefs and pray that their goodness will never be destroyed in the name of "righteousness".

 
And if I do get sent to Hell for believing as I do, at least I'll be in good company!
(although I'm pretty safe, considering that life as we know it is the closest thing that Mormons believe in)

No comments:

Post a Comment