Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Letter to Leadership

I realized my blog has grown beyond the realm of conciseness in explaining my situation, so felt the need to write a summary letter to church authorities rather than expect them to read all of my blog... here's the version that was given to my bishop.



To my inspired Church leaders:

Although I have a body that outwardly appears to be female, I do not experience the expected identity as a woman. I must acknowledge the presence of female sexual anatomy, but the social role that is expected for a woman is something that I have spent a good portion of my life trying and failing to properly adapt to. In addition to being distinctly uncomfortable in all-female settings and the female social role, the female body feels unnatural to me as if some part of me knows it's supposed to be otherwise.

I am not claiming to be a man, nor do I wish to become one or otherwise take on a masculine gender role. Quite frankly, I'm at a bit of a loss in attempting to explain what I consider myself to be because modern English (to the best of my knowledge) does not have a term that I would consider to accurately describe myself. I am me. I am Sam. I am someone who takes whatever action is needed, regardless of whether that action happens to be assigned to a male or female gender role by those around me. I have a desire to care for and raise children, but not to physically produce them. I realize that those of you who experience an identity that matches your body have a difficult time understanding how someone like me could see themselves as anything other than what they appear to be... to me, there is a similar difficulty in understanding how you can consider the issue to be so simple and obvious because my experience of is far from simple and obvious.

The body that I wish for would be one with no sexual anatomy whatsoever, and a social role for myself completely free of gender-based expectations. I do not propose this as a 'higher' form of society. I see the joy that others find in their gender-based roles and fully support their pursuit of such. I support the Church's stance on the value of families and childbearing. I marvel at women who are able to thrive on care of houseful of small children, knowing that I would be woefully inadequate for the task; if there is inferiority worthy of note anywhere in this comparison, it would be my own for lacking that capacity. I firmly believe that attempting to force myself into that role would be a disaster for all involved, and that acceptance of another (let's call it lesser) role in life is the best way for me to grow spiritually and serve those around me.

I describe myself as having a gender identity of 'neuter', acknowledging that I have not received revelation on the gender of my spirit and do not feel a need for such at this time. I realize that this will seem strange to those of you who center your life around your gender role; I believe that I have a reasonably solid (and developing) understanding of what my role is intended to be, and since it is not based on a gender assignment then seeking after a gender identifier would only confuse the issue. That being said, you are welcome to seek for confirmation of your own as to what my spirit gender may be if you feel that such is within the scope of your duty and authority.

I do not have any documentation of having an intersex condition, but I have suspected that one would someday be found for as long as I can remember. The symptoms of my body's typical response to menstruation strongly suggest that one or more aspects of my reproductive system are not as they should be, but no investigation of my internal organs, hormone levels, or genetics has been done as treatment based on hypothesis has thus far been effective.

I wish to remain active in the LDS church, but the established understanding that one must subscribe to the male/female binary in order to maintain good standing is threatening to label me as a heretic merely for saying what I honestly and sincerely understand to be true about my self, without any claim whatsoever to divine knowledge or authority related to other persons. I am puzzled as to why the Church Handbook gives quite detailed directions on how to handle a wide variety of human conditions, but gives no guidance on how to handle intersex and gender-variant persons. In my communications with other members of the LDS church who have comparable conditions, it is frightening how often different leaders will give drastically different opinions on the membership status and participation options of the same affected individual. In order to establish a basis of understanding from which authoritative decisions related to my membership and participation in this church can be made, I believe the following questions should be considered:

  • Who has the authority to receive revelation as to the gender of my spirit?
  • Does the gender of my spirit automatically define the gender role(s) that I should be taking on in this life, or might my life calling be something outside the traditional gender binary? Who has the authority to receive revelation as to what my life calling is to be?
  • What (if any) restrictions should be placed on the church membership and/or participation of an intersex or otherwise gender-variant person? With so many roles within the church organization being gender-specific, which one(s) is a non-binary person eligible for?
  • What sins and temptations do you suspect of me based on your understanding of my situation? Have you checked the validity of those suspicions, and do you discard them when evidence to the contrary is presented?
  • Would documentation of an intersex condition change your opinion of my situation any? If so, what qualifications would you require the medical authority providing said documentation to have in order for you to consider the findings valid? Should the burden of proof for the existence (or absence) of an intersex condition fall on the individual in question or on the church authorities who makes decisions based on the findings?
Some of these questions will likely require consultation with higher leadership authorities, as the principle of uniformity in church administration requires that the answer(s) be consistent. Others are simply a guide in identifying your own personal biases (which we all have) so that you can be better prepared to address the situation objectively and be receptive to spiritual promptings, with little or no need for you to communicate your personal answer to anyone else. If bychance this letter makes its way to the hands of the leadership group currently tasked with reviewing the experience of Church members suffering from gender dysphoria and developing an appropriate policy on how to handle these situations, my hope is that these questions will provide assistance in that policy development process. Additional information and thoughts can be found on my blog (http://darkness7light.blogspot.com).

I do not expect a quick resolution of my situation, although periodic reassurance that progress is being made would be welcome as I have been struggling with increasing frequency and severity of anxiety attacks over the status of my church membership in response to an apparent stagnation of progress. My conversion to the Gospel hinged on an understanding that God (and by extension, his appointed leaders of the Church) recognizes and values the uniqueness of each individual, and supports the development of individual strengths and talents rather than expecting all of us to live the same cookie-cutter lives... and so I find it difficult to maintain faith when faced with "official" denial of value regarding the less-conventional strengths and talents that I am attempting to put to good use.

Sam[antha] Corbin
Springfield 2nd Ward
Springfield Oregon Stake

No comments:

Post a Comment